Saturday 26 February 2011

My Masterpiece

There is a small rectangle piece of land in the porch.   For months, it has been redundant and I took a looooong time, trying to figure the best way to have a simple, no maintenance and a joy to the eyes.


Cement it?


Noooooooooooooooooooo!


That is probably the last thing I want to do... but... The downside...I don't like weeding and cutting.


I also hate the 'jungle' concept.  Whereby all the plants grow well, together with weeds.



So, I took the time to think and design something which is uniquely me.  No!  The concept is not called Weird.   Its  Simple and Nice - with a touch of 'little to no maintenance' as inspiration.


The Frangipani plant was the first to go into The Masterpiece whilst I continued to think further....


Frangipani and sand


Then, I visited Sg. Buloh and they have everything you need to fit into a garden.  I bought plants, plants and more plant.   And even more plants.  Obsession??  I don't know what you are talking about.


I visited nursery after nursery for days.  I bought Philippine grass, bamboos, stones, plants, pots.... Well, somebody's gotta to help these people... Do you know how many of them are there??!!!    How do they keep up the business?  Probably with people like me who 'kills' cactus.


Obsession???  I still don't know what you are talking about.


Anyways.


I bought stones.  Many different types.


Small purple stones from Philippines



Aquarium purple stones















Orange colored stones from Thailand, I think
Shells collected from a beach in Thailand


The sandy ground was laid with black plastics which was recycled after I laid the Philippine Grass.  Its to stop the weeds from growing under the stones.  

After planting more plants and laying the stones. And now it looks like this 



Upon completion







Why are you looking so sad today?

Mama tortoise
Tortoise can be opened up and candles put inside

Baby tortoise
Little dino


There is very little I need to do for The Masterpiece other than daily watering.  Little weeding now and then but other than that, its pretty easy.  I am glad I went with stones.   But unfortunately not all stones are good to have.  I have seen the white ones and they eventually have lots of green algae growing on it.  

 
BEFORE

AFTER

5 comments:

  1. I love your garden, so cute and nice! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blurting: Thanks. I have just begun. Thanks for visiting my new blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milka: Thanks. Like you, i enjoy decorating too. We are so similar in our DIY eventho it looks different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like! am so glad I don't have a garden or I'm sure I'd be obsessed with it. Bad enough my collection of potted and hanging plants is growing and taking over the porch!

    ReplyDelete