Sunday 20 March 2011

Compost Bin

Every organic gardener compost their waste. Its almost synonymous when you mention organic gardening.


Well, in that case, I should not be left out!


I researched in YouTube extensively about the subject and decided on an easy and workable system. Chicken wire.


So, a 3 feet diameter chicken wire was purchased.


One thing which is totally wonderful about my residential area, is that the local council takes very good care of the surroundings. Dried leaves are swept regularly and neatly loaded into plastics. I harvest these dried leaves whenever I need them as brown layer for my compost or mulch.


When there are heaps, I feel as if Christmas came early. My son calls me The Dried Leaves Bandit.

Its time to turn the compost. The last time was almost 4 months ago *shy*



Look what I found inside.. after 6 months

The plan is to transfer the other bin to this bin

Here goes.... The turning begins





The bottom of the compost bin. Its not matured compost, yet.  How disappointing.  According to my internet research, its not good to put un-matured compost into the vegetable patch.  There might been bacteria or pathogen.  So, got to wait some more...

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I thought there will be a lot of worms like those compost bins that ive seen on the internet? If it is just this, then can-lah i wanna make mine too ;)

    ReplyDelete