Wednesday 23 March 2011

Soil Mix

When I was researching on organic gardening, I stumbled on Square Foot Gardening (SFG).  Its a huge thing in the US but unfortunately, I have just read about it.  I have never heard about it before this. 


I must admit that this is a brilliant idea and EVERYONE can do gardening because it does not need much space.  If you are keen to know more, google it.  There are many discussion and information on it.


One of the revolutionary thing about SFG is the soil mix (Mel's Mix) which almost guarantees the success of crops.  Unfortunately many of the stuffs are either very expensive or inaccessible to me locally.  Its peat moss, vermiculite and varieties of compost all mixed together.  1/3 each.


Instead of Mel's Mix, I use my own mix - using my novice gardening logic.  Weird right?  Peat Moss was replaced with Coco Peat (coconut husk) which I purchased from Sg Buloh for RM5 per sack (guni (?) size), vermiculite was replace with rough sand from hardware shop at RM4.50 per bag, burnt soil at RM1 per bag and lastly 2 types of compost.  The first type of compost, I purchased from Ace Hardware and the other from a friend's husband who produces vermicompost at his factory (That one looks like black gold!).  I probably need to get more of that.  It cost RM9 per bag.  Not sure what's the weight... Maybe 1-2 kg.  If you stay in Selangor and wants that product, send me an email and I will forward her contact to you.





Coco peat is to retain water in the soil



I bought 4 sack of this


Burnt soil

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps some black soil will be good also ;-) My experience with coco husk is that it attracts tiny snails.

    ReplyDelete